Redstone ("Old Beacon")
Custom PC / Desktop / Acquired 03 Feb 2015
This was the first computer that I built myself; I originally put the parts list together sometime in late 2014, but it wasn't until early 2015 that I had all the parts together to build it. After having to game on pretty underpowered hardware my whole life, it was a nice breath of fresh air, even if I was only using mid-range specs for the time.
Unfortunately, the graphics card I picked out (a Radeon R7 250X) died after a year, causing reboots every time I did anything that even remotely taxed it. After sending it in for an RMA and waiting about a month for the replacement, I was back in action... for about a month. Then the replacement card died, doing the exact same thing. I still wonder if they just sent the same card back.
I moved onto an R7 360, which performed more or less the same as the old card, until my birthday came around the next year where I got an RX 480. That RX 480 ended up being moved to Beacon once it was built, and once Redstone was repurposed as my home server, I threw in a random GT 710 I had lying around (it had to have something).
Much like the laptop I had at the time, I hopped around several different OSes. The first OS it ran was Windows 8.1 (and later 10), but for most of its life it ran Kubuntu and various other Linux distros.
This PC was originally named Beacon, but after building what is now known as Beacon, I moved the name over.
- CPU: AMD Athlon X4 760K @ 3.8 GHz
- GPU: MSI GeForce GT 710
- RAM: 8GB DDR3
- BOARD: MSI A78M-E35
- [Oct 2020] Redstone in a collection of many devices (2nd from left).
- [Sep 2020] Retsuko defies the laws of gravity.
- [Aug 2020] Redstone as a part of the media center, again.
- [Mar 2020] Redstone as a part of the media center.
- [Aug 2019] The sole power source of the PC.
- [Aug 2019] Retsuko was moved into the PC.
- [Aug 2019] Side view of the new case.
- [Aug 2019] Redstone after being moved to its current case.
- [Aug 2019] Inside the old Phantom case.
- [Aug 2019] Comparing cases - before moving, top view.
- [Aug 2019] Comparing cases - before moving.
- [Jul 2019] Redstone placed under the TV in an awkward manner - another view.
- [Jul 2019] Redstone placed under the TV in an awkward manner.
- [Jun 2019] Prismarine's typical desk setup. Redstone can be seen to the left.
- [Aug 2018] Pink accents (and Yan Yan).
- [Mar 2017] The RX 480 when it was first installed.
- [Feb 2017] Stacked monitors (and an old version of ExaStar).
- [Apr 2016] Redstone in the largest, most unnecessary case possible.
- [Jun 2015] GlassBlock and Redstone on the same desk.
- [May 2015] Using 2 monitors for the first time (something I had never been able to do up until that point)
- [Feb 2015] Redstone just after it was built.